Friday, March 31, 2006
1) Costa Rica (Spanish for "Rich Coast") is located in Central America between Nicaragua and Panama in Central America.
2) Its 50,000 square kilometers makes it a little bigger than Switzerland. Its length is about 500 km. and width about 150 km. The highest mountain, Cerro Chirripó stands at 3,820 m. or about 12,000 ft. high. The coastline has a length of almost 1,300 km which include three peninsulas (Osa, Nicoya, and Papagayo).
3) About one sixth of the Costa Rica's territory has been set apart for national parks or wildlife refuges (that's more than half of the inhabitable territory of Switzerland).
4) The country also includes famous Cocos Island, found 500 km off the Pacific coast.
5) There are several active volcanos here: Irazú, Poás, Rincón de la Vieja and Arenal, the most active of all with eruptions every 15 minutes.
6) Ten percent of the country's 4 million inhabitants live in San José, and more than half of the population live in the Central Valley.
7) Eighty percent of the population is of Spanish origin. Most of the black and mulatto populations (7%) live in or around the harbor town of Limón on the Caribbean.
8) About 40,000 Indigenous live mostly in isolated forests.
9) At the moment, some 250,000 foreigners live in Costa Rica.
10) Costa Rica is a founding member of the United Nations since 1945.
More Cost Rica Surf Trip Surf Travel From SurfTrip .com.
Friday, March 24, 2006
1) Indonesia is home to 35cm miniature deer.
2) Indonesia is home to fish that climb trees to catch insects.
3) Indonesia is home to spiders that catch and devour small birds in giant webs.
4) Ape-man...Java is one of the earliest places in the world where ape-man lived. The skull of an ape-man who lived at a time when most of Europe was under ice was discovered here.
5) Population...Indonesia has the fifth largest population in the world(+-180million) which equals the combined population of all other South East Asian countries.
6) Indonesia An ethnological goldmine...the variety of ethnic groups is unparalleled anywhere else in the world (316 ethnic groups).
7)Volcanoes...Indonesia sprawls through a part of the western pacific known as the "Ring of Fire". With over 400 active volcanoes, there are over 3 earthquakes per day.
8) Size...Indonesia has a total of 5million km2. One million more than the USA, although only 2 million km2 are land.
9) Indonesia Islands...Three of the ten largest islands in the world are found here.
10) Climate...Wet season is Nov - March and hot season May to October.
More Indonesia Surf Trip Surf Travel Destinations from SurfTrip .com
Friday, March 17, 2006
From tip to tip, Hawaii is the widest state in the United States There are only 12 letters in the Hawaiian alphabet. Vowels: A, E, I, O, U Consonants: H, K, L, M, N, P, W
Hawaii is the only state that is not part of the the mainland of North America.Hawaii is the only state that grows coffee
One-third of the world's commercial supply of pineapples comes from HawaiiHawaii is the most isolated population center on earth. Hawaii is 2,390 miles from California; 4,900 miles from China; 3,850 miles from Japan; and 5,280 miles from the Philippines.
Hawaii has its own time zone (Hawaiian Standard Time.) There is no daylight savings time. The time runs 3 hours behind Pacific Standard Time and 6 hours behind Eastern Standard Time right now. Remember this when calling the islands or from the islands.Hawaii was once an independent monarchy. Polynesian monarchs rules the islands for 99 years, 1795-1894. The islands became republic. No other state has had this form of government.
In Hawaii, there are no racial or ethnic majorities, everyone is a minority. Caucasians (Haoles) constitute about 34%; Japanese-American about 32%; Filipino-American about 16% and Chinese-American about 5%. It is very difficult to determine racial identification as most of the population has some mixture of ethnicities, (Hapa).
More Hawaiian Islands Hawaii Surf Trip Surf Travel Destinations From SurfTrip .com
Friday, March 10, 2006
1. Less Than 5 percent of the population of New Zealand is human, the rest are animals, giving it one of the highest animal to people ratios in the world.
2. New Zealand's French Pass, which separates d'Urville Island from South Island Coast, is the only place in the world where two different levels of ocean can be seen at once. A Fact that not only inspires awe, but causes extremely dangerous currents.
3. New Zealand is home to the kea, the only bird in the known to actively seek out rubber to eat. It particularly likes the strips around car windows.
4. In 1977, a Japanese fishing ship trawling for mackerel off the coast of New Zealand, reportedly hauled up the rotting corpse of a 4,000 pound, 32 foot sea creature that none of the crew could identify. After photographing and taking tissue samples of the carcass, they dumped it overboard for fear of contaminating their catch. To this day, scientists debate whether the creature was a sea lion, basking shark, of plesiosaur, which are thought to have become extinct along with dinosaurs.
5. New Zealand was the first country to give women the right to vote, in 1893.
6. New Zealand has two official languages: English and Maori.
7. New Zealand is the only country that has every climate found in the world.
8. The Weta, a large cricket native to New Zealand, is able to go into suspended animation during the winter. Rather than seeking shelter, it allows itself to freeze completely solid, then thaws out in spring.
9. In addition to having a highly developed sense of smell, New Zealand's flightless kiwi birds form monogamous relationships know to last as long as 30 years.
10. The Largest measured giant squid, found stranded on a New Zealand Beach in 1880, stretched to almost 60 feet from the tip of it's head to the end of it's 40 foot long tentacles.
More New Zealand Surf Trip Surf Travel Destination from SurfTrip .com